About the Meltzer Research Fund
The purpose of the Fund is to promote the academic activities of the University of Bergen and to support especially gifted students at the University. Grants can also be awarded to applicants from other Norwegian universities and specialized university institutions (vitenskapelige høgskoler).
Call for new grant applications in autumn 2018
Students and research fellows can apply for support in the form of project grants.
- The database opens for new applications on October 17th, 2018.
- The deadline for submitting applications is December 1st, 2018. All applications to the Meltzer Research Fund must be sent to https://fond.app.uib.no/
- Grants are announced on March 8th, 2019.
- The grant monies will be made available for the period of April 1st 2019 – June 30th 2020.
- An academic report shall be sent to the Meltzer Research Fund in the electronic application database as soon as the project has concluded and no later than September 30th the year after the grant was awarded.
- Any questions can be sent by email to: email@example.com
- Enquiries relating to technical problems with the application system can be reported to the IT Department
Employees can apply to UiB for support for research travel and research sabbaticals. The grants are a gift from the L. Meltzer Research Fund. Researchers from other universities in Norway may also apply for research travel support.
Ethical Guidelines for the Management of the Meltzer Research Fund`s capital
The Board of the L. Meltzer Research Fund has decided that there shall be transparency in relation to the management of the Fund’s assets. Here you can read about: Applicable ethical guidelines for the management of the Meltzer Research Fund’s assets.
These ethical guidelines are based on three principles:
- Financing of the objectives of the Meltzer Research Fund. The time perspective is permanent and the Fund’s capital base shall be preserved. The Fund’s assets must be managed in a manner that provides good long-term returns, which is dependent on sustainable developments in economic, ecological and social conditions.
- The Meltzer Research Fund shall not make investments that constitute an unacceptable risk of the Fund being complicit in unethical acts or omissions, for example, the violation of fundamental humanitarian principles and human rights, as well as systematic corruption or environmental destruction.
- The Meltzer Research Fund shall strive for transparency in relation to the Fund and it`s investments.
The guidelines are also based on the principle that the Fund shall not directly or indirectly invest in companies that Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) has excluded from investments by the Government Pension Fund. On this basis, ethical screening of the portfolio occurs twice per year.
Storebrand Kapitalforvaltning AS has a focus on sustainable investment. The methods used to ensure this occurs are listed on the company’s website: https://www.storebrand.no/om-storebrand/barekraft/investeringer
Management of the Meltzer Research Fund’s assets
In 2012, the L. Meltzer Research Fund entered into an agreement with Storebrand Kapitalforvaltning AS to manage the Fund’s assets. https://www.storebrand.no/site/stb.nsf/Pages/sam-forside.html
A fundamental principle is that the agreement shall ensure the prudent and long-term management of the Fund’s assets, with sufficient consideration to the security of the assets and the ability to achieve satisfactory returns to safeguard the purpose of the Fund. The objective when managing the assets is to ensure annual allocations that are in accordance with the purpose of the Fund, while maintaining the actual value of the assets.
The largest part of the Fund’s capital is presently invested in the following portfolio of index funds and fixed income funds:
Storebrand Global Kreditt IG https://lt.morningstar.com/3ofqclb12f/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000LIFY&SecurityToken=F00000LIFY]2]1]FONOR$$ALL_1398&ClientFund=1&LanguageId=nb-NO&CurrencyId=NOK&UniverseId=FONOR$$ALL_1398&BaseCurrencyId=NOK
As of 31 August, this fund had invested in the following companies: Storebrand Global Kredit IG
Storebrand Indeks Alle Markeder
Storebrand Norsk Kreditt IG
As of 31 August, this fund had invested in the following companies: Storebrand Norsk Kreditt IG